Family Adventures in Perthshire
Start planning your next family adventure in Highland Perthshire. Ideally located between Dunkeld, Pitlochry, Aberfeldy and Loch Tay, there really is something for all ages and weather.
1. Wild Water Adventures – Make a splash in the River Tay and Tummel with Splash White Water Rafting just along the road in Aberfeldy. If white water is not your thing, there are plenty more water activities to be had including Canyoning, river bugging and stand up paddleboarding. And if you are staying with us, you’ll also get a discount.
2. Step into a story book – Celebrating Beatrix Potter's many links to the local area, The Beatrix Potter Exhibition will fascinate enthusiasts whilst the vintage play area will keep young children amused for hours. Take a walk through the idyllic Beatrix Potter Garden to visit Mrs Tiggy Winkle in her house, see Jeremy fishing by his pond, watch out for Mr Fox, and of course see if you can find Peter Rabbit himself!
3. Head out on Safari – winner of the "Best Visitor Experience" in Scotland, Highland Safaris and Red Deer Centre combine exhilarating Land Rover Safaris, scenic boat trips of Loch Tay, the popular Red Deer Centre, inspiring walking and Biking activities and Perthshire's only Gold and Gem Panning Centre.
4. Step back in time – At the Crannog Centre, you’ll interpret the lives of Crannog Dwellers who lived on the Loch 2,500 years ago through guided tours, a museum holidng the artefacts left behind and showcasing the many skills and technologies of the past with hands on demonstrations.
5. Electric Power - Pitlochry Dam is a free attraction that tells the story of the amazing engineering feats that first brought hydro electricity to the Highlands in the 1950s and transformed lives forever. Learn how energy is harnessed from nature using wind and water and turned into electricity as well as the secrets of the annual journey made by salmon when they return to their native Perthshire rivers to spawn. The café is also a must-visit for the views over the River Tay.
6. Movie time - For the wet weather days or the days when you're looking to relax, The Birks Cinema is the place to go. The unique state-of-the-art rural cinema in Highland Perthshire shows the latest films and much more... with super comfy seats in a spacious auditorium plus a relaxed café bar in the town centre of Aberfeldy.